get to know Angely M. Toro Casiano

Research Program Intern

Hello wonderful readers, welcome to my biography! I don’t want to get you bored with all the details of my life, so I will go straight to the point. I was born in Mayagüez Puerto Rico, raised in Sabana Grande, and studied at Inés María Mendoza High School in Cabo Rojo. In high school I was part of the marketing program and part of the Distributive Education Club of America (DECA). Since I can remember I have loved the arts. When I was younger my brother and I would learn the High School Musical and Glee dances and show it to our parents. We were also part of a few plays and would dance in school activities. Now I like to read, write, dance, and sing off key.

It was a long path to decide what I wanted to do with my life. One of my many options was becoming a doctor which is how I entered the Biology Department in the University of Puerto Rico Mayagüez Campus, but it was not long when I realized that wasn’t for me. I decided to stay in Biology until I could find what I truly wanted for my life. I would often find myself being excited by the thought of being a lab instructor, that’s when I realized I wanted to be in front of a classroom, I wanted to be a teacher. Now I’m a 4th year university student with a concentration in Biology and a minor in the Teaching Preparation Program with high hopes of becoming the best instrument of knowledge for my students.